Saturday, January 19, 2013

Power to my Mom and Superfoods - Operation Muffin Top ...

I remember my mom?s happy disposition and unconditional love. And though I can?t throw my arms around her for a hug on Sunday, I will smile and be thankful for the monumental impact she has had on my life and health.

Mom lost her life to breast cancer when she was 49. I was 13.? Throughout her fight, she asked me if I could only remember her when she was healthy?healthy, say what? A double mastectomy, bone marrow transplant, rounds of chemo, rounds of radiation, more rounds of chemo, oodles of nurses, 10 hospitals, 6 years, and 1 short lived remission?err, sadly, healthy doesn?t really ring a bell.

However, there are special memories that have influenced me to do everything in my power to remain healthy and happy. A day has not gone by over the past 15 ? years where I don?t think about my health. And it wasn?t until last year that I discovered the importance of nutrition and the power of food, especially superfoods.

At that point I ate a relatively clean diet: no processed foods, no soda, lots of fruits and vegetables. ?Healthy? right? Well, little did I think about antibiotics used on farm animals or hormones in dairy or the cons about caffeine.? I had never heard about superfoods like kale, goji berries, chia seeds, hemp seeds and maca. So over time, I added these superfoods into my diet and what a difference they have made! In my opinion, I no longer suffer from seasonal allergies or sinus infections because of these superfoods (and other dietary and lifestyle changes). Just like I owe credit to my mom, I also owe credit to the nutrients I obtain from my two latest superfood favorites:

  • Kale: I love kale because it oozes with energy. It?s my leafy green obsession to say the least. I enjoy it cooked (kale chips are the bomb!), raw, and juiced! I juice it with celery, cucumber, apple, pear, and parsley (all organic please!) and am instantly energized. Kale is high in vitamin C, A, and K, omega 3?s, iron, calcium and fiber. It helps lower cholesterol, brightens the skin and wards off cancer. Gosh, I love kale and buy it by the bushel at least once a week.
  • Goji berries: I enjoy these chewy berries daily in salads, smoothies or mixed with raw nuts! I even add them to my home-made protein balls. These berries offer an excellent balance of daily macronutrients, containing carbohydrates, high-quality plant-based protein, healthy fat, and soluble fiber. Goji berries are high in Vitamin C, beta carotene, and antioxidants. Yummo and oh-SO healthy!

Food is not just calories or something you put on your fork to enjoy. It is information. Food talks to your DNA and tells it what to do. Educate yourself about food, and experiment with some superfoods!

Have a great weekend?and make it a healthy one, too!

-Liz

Source: http://blog.ctnews.com/carozza/2013/01/19/power-to-my-mom-and-superfoods-2/

420 secret service fenway park coachella philadelphia flyers 4/20 student loan forgiveness

No comments:

Post a Comment